Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 18- 25 minutes
Total Time: 40- 45 minutes
Items You’ll Need:
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Large glass mixing bowl (try to use glass or metal if you have it because plastic is porous and can soak up some of the fat that makes these scones so scrumptious)
- Rubber spatula
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper or oil spray
- 2-3 shoots of Green Onion roughly chopped
- 3 Kalamata Olives chopped small
- 3/4- 1 cup of shredded Vegan Cheese (I prefer mozzarella, but you can use whatever you like)
- 2 cups of Spelt Flour
- 1 TBS Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp of Salt opt. (you can forgo the salt all together if you wish because the saltiness from the olives, cheese, and butter can be enough)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup of Vegan Butter chilled
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk (you can use an alternative vegan milk, but I find the high fat content of coconut milk yields the best scones!)
- Preheat your oven to 425° F
- Measure out your butter and place in the freezer while you prepare your veggies and dry mixture.
- Combine green onions, kalamata olives, cheese, flour, baking soda, salt, pepper, and flour together in a bowl. Give it a good stir to make sure all the baking powder has been broken down and incorporated.
- Take the butter out of the freezer and cut it into small squares; about 3/4 of an inch.
- Add your butter to your dry mixture and give it a stir.
- Slowly add the coconut milk while stirring until all your dough sticks together. You don’t want the dough too sticky! So, if you don’t use all the coconut milk no worries!
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper or spray it down really well.
- Once your dough has been formed pat it into a ball and place on your baking sheet.
- Pat down your dough into a circle about 3/4- 1 inch high and cut into 8 triangles.
- Separate the triangles so they don’t meld together in the oven.
- Brush some coconut milk on top of each triangle, so the tops brown up really nicely. If you don’t have a brush you can use a small spoon and gently poor over the top (Just a little bit!)
- Bake for 18- 25 minutes or until golden and beautiful.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool a smidgen and ENJOY!:)
*Best if served warm*